Bowerham School was the first school to be built in the Lancaster and Morecambe district by the Education Authority after the 1890 Education Act made education free for all children.
The school was opened in May 1899 and was at that time called ‘The Mixed Department of the Bowerham Board School’ and was open by the Mayor of Lancaster.
The school had close links with Bowerham Barracks before it was converted into St Martins College as the school used the fields to play football and various sports.
In 1907 the school published its very own magazine – ‘Bowerham Council School Magazine’ (copies of the pages can be viewed using the links below). The magazine was published for many years and become ‘The B’s Hum’.
The school was well known for its sporting ability and over the years they won many trophies and shields for football, rounders, skittleball and cricket.
The school won the William Smith Shield many times pre and post war – the shield is still within school today.
Our New Hall complex, and four additional classrooms, were built in the 1970s. The foundation stage of the school has been completely re-developed. The nursery building had be redesigned and decorated and an excellent outdoor area created. This was developed and opened for September 2005.
Due to an increased birth rate in the local area, our school has recently undergone a Basic Need expansion project which included 4 new classrooms, a continuous provision area, a brand new fully equipped catering kitchen along with a fully fitted pupil kitchen. There has also been a substantial reburbishment programme throughout school.
The work was completed with an official opening in January 2014.